- Inquire by phone or email for venue availability
- Provide the following information:
– Date(s) of booking
– Choice of venue
– Type of event
– Expected capacity
– Any special requirements
- Hold the venue (optional fee)
- Review all costs
– Rental charge
– Staffing Fees
– Theatre Improvement Fee
– SOCAN Tariff
– Security Deposit (refundable after ALL expenses have been paid)
- Schedule a tour | View the space HERE
- Book the venue
– Review and sign the rental contract
– Pay the Security Deposit
RENTAL RATE – Performance Works
|FRIDAY or SUNDAY||$2200 +tax|
|FRIDAY or SATURDAY||$725 +tax|
To qualify for the Not For Profit Rate, renters are required to submit one of the following:
- Canadian registered charity name and number
- A copy of your non-profit society certificate
- Written confirmation on letterhead from a registered Canadian charity confirming that your event is being presented on their behalf
Renters are required to obtain insurance coverage for the rental period including commercial general liability and property damage at limits not less than five million dollars naming Studio 1398 and the Granville Island Cultural Society as additional insured. The renters are welcome to use whichever insurance provider suits their needs.
Please contact our production manager with the specific requirements of your event in order to receive an accurate estimate of your overall cost.
TECHNICIAN | $31 per hour
Renters are required to hire a GICS venue technician for all productions and events requiring the use of technical equipment.
VENUE MANAGER| $21 per hour
Renters are required to hire a GICS front of house venue manager to facilitate the event and supervise whenever public patrons are in attendance.
Premium or extra charges are billed for:
1. Work performed on statutory holidays
2. Work between the hours of midnight and 8am
3. Hours worked after six (6) consecutive day
4. Meal penalties occurring when GICS staff are unable to take a break within a 5 hour period
*Please contact our Production Manager directly if you have any questions regarding the scheduling of staff or extra charges.
THEATRE IMPROVEMENT FEE (TIF) | $0.50 – $1.00 per ticket
A TIF fee is levied on all ticketed productions or events.
For non-ticketed events, a TIF fee is levied on a sliding scale:
$25 = 1-50 patrons
$50 = 51-150 patrons
$100 = 151+ patrons
$63.49 +tax = events with music and dancing
$31.72 +tax = events with music only
The Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada Tariff #8 – Receptions, Conventions, Assemblies and Fashion Shows: Renters planning on having music at their event must also remit to SOCAN. This fee will be added to your full rental payment, due 60 days prior to your rental date.
STANDARD RATE | $750 per week or event
NOT-FOR-PROFIT RATE| $250 per week or event
Deposits are due at the time of signing the contract and are refunded back to the renter after all financial obligations have been met. The deposit acts as a retainer for the cost of any loss, damages or extraordinary janitorial costs or staffing charges.
Should cancellation occur after signing the contract, the deposit is forfeited. Total rent due is payable sixty (60) days prior to the rental date.
120 NOTICE of cancellation must be given in writing or the presenter will be required to pay the full rental rate for the period of the contract.
RENTAL RATES | PDF